(Temporay permits)....They are being issued by Caltrans.

They are for businesses to operate on State Highway Right of Way. Restaurants, retialers and other businesses ase eligible to temporarily operate on the state highway right of way under permits available from the California Department of Transportation. These permits foillow Governor Gavin Newsom';s October executive order directing Caltrans to develop a process for issuing temporary permits to cities and counties so businesses located along state highways can expand dining and retail options onto sidewalks and parking areas where safe. The order is part of the state's continuing responce to the COVID 19 pandemic. More information is available on the Caltrans webpage.