U. S. Border Patrol agents in the Imperial Valley had another busy weekend.

Friday afternoon shortly after 1:00 p.m. an employee of a solar panel operation about 7 miles west of Calexico reported that he found a backpack on the site. Border patrol agents investigated and determined the backpack contained nearly 7 pounds of methamphetamine worth over $11,000. The drugs were turned over to the DEA.

Saturday morning at about 11:00 a.m. agents at the Highway 111 checkpoint near Niland inspected a pickup truck after a Border Patrol canine team alerted to the truck. Several packages of methamphetamine were found hidden in the gas tank. The meth had leaked into the gasoline in the tank and agents were unable to determine the total weight. The driver , a 45-year old U.S. citizen , was turned over to the DEA.

Saturday evening at about 9:10 p.m. agents responded to a distress call from an individual who had illegally crossed the border about 15 miles east of Calexico. The 25-year old man , a Mexican citizen , said he had become lost and needed help. Agents located the man and after a medical evaluation returned him to Mexico.

Sunday afternoon shortly after 2:00 p.m. a man driving a Ford Explorer approached the Highway 86 checkpoint where a Border Patrol canine team alerted to the SUV. After a search agents discovered 54.5 pounds of methamphetamine hidden in the spare tire. The meth has a value estimated at over $100,000. The driver , a 41-year old Mexican citizen , was turned over to the DEA. 

Later Sunday afternoon , a Border Patrol Remote Video Surveillance System operator notified agents of a package being thrown over the International Border wall just west of the Calexico downtown port of entry. Agents located the package and determined it contained 2.26 pounds of Methamphetamine valued at over $4,000.

At about 10:30 p.m. Sunday Border Patrol agents arrested a man found illegally crossing the border from Mexico about 29 west of Calexico. The 32-year old man was found to be a previously deported sex offender. The man is being held in federal custody pending further criminal prosecution.