(Mercury spill causes evacuation)….It happened this week at an El Centro Doctor’s Office.
Reports are that a wall mounted blood pressure cuff broke, spilling the mercury. Since mercury is considered a toxic substance, the offices on Imperial Avenue were evacuated. The El Centro Fire Department was called, as well as a team from the Certified Unified Program Agencies. CUPA is part of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control. They say nobody reported ill effects from the mid-morning spill. It was cleaned up, and the offices reopened. If ingested, mercury can be very harmful to human health. The incident is being investigated.